December 4, 2009

World of Warcraft "Beaten": Doomsday Clock Starts to Blink




Got the Power-Up!

Some ladies' man in Taiwan did the seemingly impossible. He beat World of Warcraft. Not a player of the MMORPG myself, although I have been known to occasionally dabble in a game or two involving pixelated images (I swear I meant to stay up three nights in a row to finish "Nobunaga's Ambition" on the SNES!). In any case, let's look at the body count:

"Little Gray" on the Wrathbringer server managed to kill 390,895 creatures and completed 5,906 quests in total, according to the WoW Armory website. As you would expect, however, there is one slight problem that should be noted.

The player has yet to earn the holiday achievement 'BB King' but due to a bug with an old PvP achievement, he managed to earn two points, giving him 986/986.


I was curious about the time you'd need to invest on an undertaking like this, so I turned to my regular font of pop culture information, my friends at CBR (Comic Book Resources).  Dreadstar (Paul), a WoW player of some regularity, laid it out thusly:

Let's put it this way, in regards to time on WoW. WoW has been around for 5 years. If you spent 2 hours every day playing WoW, and 3 or 4 hours each day on the weekend since inception, you have logged a solid 6 months of game time. That's 6 months continuous.

If this guy was hard core, and it sounds like he was, I'd bet he'd have logged over a full year of continuous time. That means he played for one-fifth of all available hours since inception. And that really wouldn't surprise me. But to get the achievements? Hard to say to get the achievements. He might have done half that. He might have done DOUBLE that.

Holy shit. That's insane. Possibly two years out of the last five playing WoW. That's 24 hours a day, seven days a week, times twenty-four months, with no sleep, food, daylight, work, or other "normal" activities. I don't know whether to be impressed or depressed.

1 comment:

  1. The labels for this entry are hilarious, Ray. And true. So very true.

    ReplyDelete